2011 International at Tralee (for the International Challenge Cup), Ireland beat Catalonia 13.5 matches to 2.5
Ireland had a comfortable win over Catalonia in the fifth international challenge at Tralee on April 14th. In warm sunny conditions, the home side led by two and a half to one and a half after the early morning fourballs. Enric Sanz and Daniel Gimenez (unbeaten against the Irish at Platja d’Aro in 2008) played superbly to win a point for the Catalans against Paul O’Brien and 2010 Irish Open champion Frank Dineen. The wily Catalan combination of Paco Salido and World Strokeplay champion Fernando Cano earned a half for the visitors in the top match against Irish skipper Tracey McGrath and Bryan Delaney.
But it was a clean sweep for Ireland in the foursomes, this time contested in the scotch format. Cano and Salido were impressive again but lost to a Tracey McGrath birdie putt on the final green. John Walsh canned a six footer for a two on the seventeenth to win a close match for he and fellow Corkman Frank Dineen against the Catalan stars of the fourballs, Sanz and Giménez, the latter’s first loss internationally. Elswehere it was relatively easy for Delaney and O’Brien while fourteen time Irish champion Geraldine Ward combined with Jonathan Goodall (who was making his international debut on his home course) for a straightforward victory over Amador Rodriguez and Albert Gironés.
The Niall Reynolds managed Ireland team dominated the afternoon singles, winning seven out of the eight matches. Albert Gironés’s was the only Catalan success, beating Tracey McGrath.
1. Tracey McGrath & Bryan Delaney halved with Fernando Cano & Paco Salido
2. Paul O'Brien & Frank Dineen lost to Daniel Giménez & Enric Sanz 3&2
3. John Walsh & Jonathan Goodall beat Amador Rodriguez & Albert Gironés 7&6
4. Ray Murphy & Ger Ward beat Marçal Moré & Marc Lloret 5&4
Result: Ireland 2.5 Catalonia 1.5
1. Bryan Delaney & Paul O'Brien beat Marc Lloret & Marçal Moré 7&6
2. Ger Ward & Jonathan Goodall beat Amador Rodriguez & Albert Gironés 5&4
3. John Walsh & Frank Dineen beat Daniel Giménez & Enric Sanz 2&1
4. Tracey McGrath & Ray Murphy beat Fernando Cano & Paco Salido 1 hole
Result: Ireland 4 Catalonia 0
1, John Walsh beat Fernando Cano 2&1
2. Paul O'Brien beat Enric Sanz 5&3
3. Ger Ward beat Marçal Moré 2&1
4. Frank Dineen beat Amador Rodriguez 4&3
5. Jonathan Goodall beat Daniel Giménez 2 holes
6. Tracey McGrath lost to Albert Gironés 3&2
7. Bryan Delaney beat Marc Lloret 2&1
8. Ray Murphy beat Paco Salido 5&4
Result: Ireland 7 Catalonia 1
Overall Result: Ireland 13.5 Catalonia 2.5